Friday, October 2, 2009

El Salvador

It took some time to clear through the Boarder into El Salvador and although I was told there where places just on the other side, I've learnt never to trust what anyone says. It's now getting dark, I'm starting to follow the coast line and also looking for a gas station. Then what ever 'shacks' where present they sure don't now and it is very dark. No real choice but to start looking for a place to put my mate down and see it into the next day. However time goes on and there is NO WHERE that I can pull off the road, steep bank on one side and coastal cliffs on the other with not as much as a grass verge on either side. In desperate times the desperate get crazy and I found what looked like a possible incline to try and hide. Long story short after getting myself about 2 meters up the bank I drop the bike just as a lone vehicle pules up. Shit!! 4 people get out with flash lights and I think I notice a gun in one of the guys hand.....Double shit!
Once Person Place Time and Event has been established with the local police force......they not only put away the flash lights and gun.......then proceeded to assisted me getting this flightless kiwi bird back on the road. Told me through very broken English the next village was still another 45 minutes away. MMM not enjoying travel at this stage.
However I continued up the road to then see just in front of yet another tunnel, a perfect viewing platform overlooking the rugged coast. Once Mana was well hidden in the bush, sleeping mate inflated, Tuna and noddles on the stove I put head on riding jacket under not only a clear star studded sky but also under a complete full moon...... life sure can throw you curve balls and moments it make it all real.


Back on the road the next day after being treated to a lightening storm just off the coast but also remain dry (had plan B in place by that time) and with full tank of gas I headed to the next boarder. Ever day I start it out a little apprehensive due to not know how it's all going to turn out and what's ahead and today is not exception, this is due to going through Honduras which is something I have been concerned with.
One the approach to the boarder once again I decided to stay somewhere close and do it the next morning due to the time. Well that didn't work either since there was nothing there except mad running men waving their arms telling me to stop and employ them to get me through. I decided enough was enough and I'll do this my self. Best decision i had made as it all went very well and i learned myself how to deal with this. Also you have to do the money changing since every country has their own and will not except the others currency.

Now I come out the other side and and with the good roads I head into Nicaragua and start looking for a place to stay. however it soon turns into.......
this and there is nowhere in sight. Finally after about an hour I finally find a place in Chinanded just before the skies open up and have thunder so load that it sets off any car alarm with 100 miles. Today was back on the road but only for 150 k's staying in Managua for the night and on to Costa Rica tomorrow. I'm in need of a small break as is 'Mana" I've never named a vehicle but he has proven to be the best motorized travel companion I could have ask for. He really has developed a character of his own and is the common denominate in a language barriered conversation. Tarna or Ric if your reading this, he's done you proud.....
Hope life on your world is as interesting as mine has been to date............


No comments:

Post a Comment