Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Costa Rica


So I left camp (thanks Geoff for that contact, bloody great folks and they really looked after me, I owe you a big one) and started to head towards the Panama boarder. Once again you have the apprehension of the unknown events of the day and throw in dealing with these boarder crossings, does in your appetite. Anyway the riding was good as it headed towards the Caribbeancoast of Costa Rica and since the day was breaking nicely I new I was in for a good day.
So once through the boarder, always a huge relief, I came around the corner to be greeted with this in front of me. Now I'm not sure about 'Heaven" but I've decided it's a place where WE just want to go.....what ever it may look like. while I just found mine. It's a snaking piece of black top winding it's way through the jungle heading towards the mountains.... in the tropics. Now I know I;'m in for a good day......

This just doesn't do the scene any justice. there was this incredible little village in the valley with these wild hills in the back drop, just looked amazing

Started to climb and kept climbing for about 2 hours and 1200 meters. In November last year this road was hit by some major land slips and was closed for months on end. It's still in the process of rebuild so there was major construction which was to my advantage. when they stop traffic all the trucks and buses are up ahead so you just pass them all to the start, then when the guys lets us go I'm in front and have the whole road to myself..... dam I love bikes sometimes

And right at the top heads into cloud and a little rain just to cool it off some.

Then pop out the other side which ids at the last of the range that splits Costa Rica's coast. This is now looking down into the low lands of Panama and the heat was back. Got into a place called David which about 400k's from Panama City which is where I head to tomorrow to try and sort out the crossing into Columbia.......
all is good in the motorized world here and so also draws an end to the Central American part of this journey.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome views and not a bad mugshot, pity it was covered in helmet!
    Keep up the photos as you couldnt imagine that kind of scenery. xx

    ReplyDelete